Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sunday Pot Roast

There is nothing better on a cold Sunday than coming home from church and walking into a house that smells like pot roast & potatoes (and if I'm really on top of things, homemade bread too).  It's probably one of the easiest things you can make in your slow cooker, and an excellent way to use tougher (and cheaper) cuts of meat.
 
This version is based on one form the owner's manual for the slow cooker I got for my wedding.  I've tweaked the recipe over the years for my own tastes. 


1 3-4 lb. boneless beef roast  (I used chuck roast, because it was on sale of course)
1/2 c. water or beef broth
3 med. potatoes cut in chunks (I used a bunch of baby yukon gold)
2 large carrots, sliced (or a handful of baby carrots)
1 onion, sliced
1 tsp. Worchestershire sauce (optional)
seasoning salt, pepper  (if you don't have seasoning salt, use salt, paprika, & garlic powder)


1.  Place onion slices in the bottom of the slow cooker.
2.  Season meat with seasoning salt & pepper.  Place on top of onions in slow cooker.
3.  Place vegetables around the sides of the roast.  Add broth and Worchestershire sauce.
4.  Cover and cook on low 10-12 hours or high 5-6 hours.

To serve, I often remove the meat to a platter and then pour the vegetables and juices through a colander.  I then serve the vegetables in a serving bowl and I reserve the stock to make soup.



source:  Crock-Pot Slow Cooker Owner's Guide

2 comments:

  1. What are the different kinds of roasts? Which is the cut that you should be able to slice versus falling apart and shredding?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cheaper cuts are great for pot roast. Chuck and shoulder roasts are tough, but very flavorful and will shred due to the marbleization of fat in the cuts. Eye of round or sirloin have less marbleization and will slice better.
    Asking the butcher at the store is also a good idea. (I'm not an expert!)
    Either way, letting it sit for a few minutes is important before slicing. I've even had luck slicing the chuck roast (like for sandwiches) if I let it cool completely first.

    ReplyDelete