Saturday, January 8, 2011

Spicy Chicken Bundles (P.F.Chang's Lettuce Wraps)

This recipe comes from the very first meeting of my former supper club.  What followed was over 4 years of bi-monthly yummy goodness. 
The first time I made these I think my husband was astounded that I actually made some variety of Asian food.  (Having spent 2 years in Korea, that's usually his area of expertise.)  He loved it and has requested it several times since.
As to the claim that they taste like P.F. Chang's Lettuce Wraps, I have no idea.  I've never been to P.F. Chang's!

Don't worry if you don't have ground chicken.  I just cut up boneless, skinless chicken breasts into chunks and then pulsed them in my food processor.
And don't ignore the hot mustard--it really makes this dish.

Spicy Chicken Bundles (P.F. Chang’s Lettuce Wraps) 

1 lb. ground chicken 
2 tsp. minced fresh ginger 
2 cloves garlic, minced 
¼ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes 
12 large lettuce leaves 
3 T soy sauce 
1 T cornstarch 
1 T peanut or vegetable oil 
1/3 c. finely chopped water chestnuts 
1/3 c. thinly sliced green onions 
¼ c. chopped peanuts 
Chinese hot mustard (optional) 

1. Combine chicken, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper in med. Bowl.  
2.  Blend soy sauce into cornstarch until smooth.  
3.  Heat wok in large skillet over med-high heat.  Add oil until hot.  Add chicken mixture, stir-fry for 2-3 min. until chicken is no longer pink.  
4.  Stir soy sauce mixture and add to wok.  Stir fry 30 seconds or until sauce boils and thickens.  Add water chestnuts, onions, and peanuts.  Heat through.  
5.  Divide filling evenly among lettuce leaves.  Roll up.  Secure with wooden toothpicks.  
6.  Serve with hot mustard.
I like to have it with rice and potstickers

source:  Amber J.

3 comments:

  1. mmm...I love PF Changs lettuce wraps. This looks so yummy. Question: do you make the potstickers too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just pulled out my dinner club book. I'll be making these this week. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete