Monday, January 17, 2011

Stuffed French Toast

This is too decadent to serve for breakfast.  Brunch, perhaps. 

You can make several versions with this basic recipe. Some of my family's favorites include banana & peanut butter, cream cheese & apricot (or strawberry), and Nutella.  Actually, the Nutella version is so good that the first time I had it I burst into a fit of giggles after tasting it. 

Stuffed French Toast

1 loaf french bread
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. salt
fillings

1.  Slice the french bread on the diagonal about 1/2-3/4 in thick.
 2.  Spread 2 slices with your fillings and sandwich together. (If using cream cheese, spread on thickly, because it will melt a bit into the bread.)
apricot jam and cream cheese
 3. Lightly beat eggs, add in milk, sugar, vanilla, and salt.
4.  Dip sandwiches in egg mixture and place on prepared griddle. 
 5.  Cook until lightly browned on each side.  Serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.


source:  none

1 comment:

  1. This was so yummy. I made this thismorning. I used aprocot/pinapple jelly for the middle because that is what I had and I used Tofutti Sour Serpreme (a non dairy sour cream.)This was my middle. I also used the last of my homemade weat bread. It was so yummy. Thank you for Sharing Holly.

    ReplyDelete