I must confess, I haven't made them myself yet. I plan to do so for our upcoming book club meeting, but the recipe was in a hard to find facebook post, and I don't want to lose it.
Salted Caramel Butter Bars --let go and let butter
1 c unsalted butter, room temp
1.5 c powdered sugar
1 c granulated sugar
4 c flour
1 package caramels
1/3 c half and half, whole milk or cream
1 tsp vanilla
Kosher or sea salt (or flavored salt if you’re wild)
1. Preheat to 350. Prepare a 9x13 by lining with sprayed parchment.
2. Cream butter and sugars.
3. Add flour and mix till smooth.
4. Pat half the dough into prepared pan, and bake for about 20 min or so, until just beginning to brown (may take 25). Place other half of dough in the fridge.
5. Meantime, melt caramels, milk and vanilla either in microwave or stovetop. Stir till incorporated and smooth.
6. Pour over hot first layer as evenly as possible (difficult to spread). Sprinkle generously with salt.
7. Moosh the rest of the dough on top of the caramel layer, sort of flatten out chunks. Does not have to be perfect at all.
8. Bake another 25 min or so, until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool in pan for about 30 min. Lift parchment from pan and place on cutting surface. When completely cooled, cut into bars, and then into triangles.
Just enjoy them. Don’t think about it too much.
source: Judith B.