My mother-in-law made this recipe for us on Christmas Eve and gave us a jar of the Hot Roll Mix as a gift. Most of the instructions I was given for these were verbal, so some of the instructions might require some previous knowledge of bread/roll making or at least a good imagination.
I made the pizza rolls last night and they were good!
To start, you first need to make a Hot Roll Mix.
Hot Roll Mix
5 lbs. flour
1 1/4 c. sugar
4 Tbsp. salt
1 c. dry milk
Once you have your Hot Roll Mix, you can make individual mixes by using mason jars or even large ziploc bags. Ours came in a decorated large 2qt. mason jar.
Good For You Bread/Rolls
2 Tbsp. yeast
1 c. warm water
1 c. water
4 Tbsp. oil
6/12-7 c. Hot Roll Mix
2. Add all ingredients and knead until well combined.
3. Cover bowl and place in a warm place to rise until doubled.
4. Punch down and let rise again.
For Dinner Rolls:
5. Divide into walnut size balls of dough.
6. Drop 3 each into a muffin pan.
7. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Brush with melted butter.
5: Divide into 2 loaves.
6. Place each into a loaf pan
7. Bake at 350 for 30-45 min until golden brown.
For Pizza Rolls:
5. Divide dough into 2 halves.
6. Roll out each half onto a greased baking sheet.
7. Top with pizza sauce and shredded cheese.
(It's okay if they look loose or messy. The dough will expand in the oven and fill in the spaces. If you like you can try to shape them so that they are more round. Mine are a little off center.)
(Mine were in about 3 minutes too long, so are a bit browner than normal.)
Makes around 2 dozen large pizza rolls. My mother-in-law recommends making them ahead and packing them for lunch as they keep well in the fridge.
For Cinnamon Rolls:
Same as for pizza rolls, but use a thick mixture of cinnamon & sugar instead of sauce and cheese. Top hot rolls with icing.