There are as many chili recipes out there as there are people. Within my own family, this basic recipe has evolved to be different in each of my siblings' households. Any way you make it, it's a great recipe for a cold day.
The Chili-O seasoning is key to my family's recipe, but when I run short I just use chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika.
The beans may be light or dark kidney beans, red beans, or chili beans. I usually like to mix it up with a can or two of chili beans mixed with kidney beans. The chili ready tomatoes add the most flavor, but regular diced tomatoes will work as well.
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
3 cans chili-ready tomatoes
3 cans beans
2 pkgs. Chili-O seasoning
salt & pepper
1. In skillet, cook ground beef until lightly browned. Season with salt & pepper.
2. Add onion and green pepper and cook for a few minutes until tender.
3. Put meat/onion/pepper mixture in the slow cooker. Add canned tomatoes and beans (Do not drain tomatoes.)
4. Stir in Chili-O seasoning.
5. Cook in slow cooker on low for 3-4 hours or on high 6-8 hours.
6. Serve with Fritos, shredded cheddar and sour cream.
source: Emily B.