I like to use fancy words when making this soup. Words like, aromatics and roux. Really, it's just a creamy, cheesy vegetable soup. It's excellent with hot rolls or crackers.
Parmesan Corn Chowder
2 c. chopped, peeled potato
1/2 c. thinly sliced carrot
1/2 c. thinly sliced celery
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. all-purpose flour
2 c. milk
1 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
2 cans creamed corn
Bacon, cooked & crumbled (I would say that this is optional, but for me, bacon is never optional.)
1. In a large pot, stir together 2 c. water, potato, carrot, celery, onion, and pepper.
2. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the butter, whisk in the flour.
4. Add milk all at once and cook for 1 more minute.
5. Add the cheese, stirring until melted.
6. Carefully add the cheese mixture to the vegetable mixture.
7. Stir in the corn, and continue to heat through, stirring occasionally. DO NOT BOIL.
8. Stir in the bacon or sprinkle over individual servings.
source: Erin P.