Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pink Pancakes

A few years ago for Christmas, I got the Deceptively Delicious cookbook by Jessica Seinfeld.  It was such a "cute" cookbook and I really wanted to love it.  Instead, I found it sort of ho-hum.  My kids liked many of the recipes okay, but I didn't think they were especially noteworthy.  Still, I did want to sneak a few more vegetables and fruits into my kids.

I already make pumpkin pancakes, but was intrigued by the pancakes with beets in them.  So I made her Pink Pancakes, which included pureed beets, ricotta cheese, and grated apples.  The kids loved it, but the adults weren't a big fan of the texture -it was a bit creamy in the middle, no matter how well it was cooked.  She also used pancake mix, and I don't usually keep that around.
I experimented with the recipe and found that the only thing that the cheese added was bulk, calories, and an off texture.  Here is the version that I came up with, though for my family of six I have to double it.

Pink Pancakes

1 egg
1 c. flour
1/2-3/4 c. milk (depends on the amount of moisture in the beets, so start with 1/2 and add more if necessary.)
1/4 c. pureed beets*
1/4 c. grated apple
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
cooking spray or butter

*Puree the beets by draining them from the can, or chopping fresh beets.  Place in blender or food processor with a Tbsp.or two of water, and puree until smooth.

1. Preheat griddle or skillet.  Spray with cooking spray or grease with butter, if necessary.
2.  Beat egg with whisk;  Add all other ingredients;  Whisk together until smooth.
3.  Pour 1/4 cup batter onto griddle or pan;  Cook until top is bubbly and edges are dry, then turn and cook till edges are cooked.
 

source: Deceptively Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment