Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Marinara with Butter and Onion

I have never had the desire before to make my own pasta sauce.  I didn't see the point.  I've always been a Prego girl, and spaghetti was always a quick convenience food for me,. Fussing over a simmering sauce all day was not my idea of convenient.
I decided to try this recipe from a speckled handle because of its very simple list of ingredients and the possibility of doing it in the slow cooker.
Oh, my heavens, is it good!

I've made it several times and tried different brands of tomatoes, and I have to say that the San Marzano tomatoes are the best for this recipe.  I loved the sauce every time I made it, but the time I made it with these tomatoes (found at Whole Foods) I found myself standing and eating it with a spoon directly out of the pot.   Unfortunately, the San Marzano tomatoes were $3.99 a can. (Not exactly the most economical choice.)  That being said, I was perfectly satisfied with regular whole canned  tomatoes from my regular store and my husband said he didn't notice much of a difference and that they were good every time.  I think as I continue to make this recipe, I will keep experimenting with different tomatoes, and perhaps only pick up the San Marzanos for special occasions or when very much on sale.

Note:  For the second, smaller can of tomatoes, I used a local store brand of diced tomatoes rather than whole each time that had italian seasonings because I had several of them on hand.

Marinara with Butter and Onion

1 29 oz. can of whole tomatoes
1 15 oz. can whole tomatoes
6 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, peeled and quartered.

1. Place ingredients in slow cooker. Cover.
2.  Cook on high for about 2 hours or on low for 3-4.
Note:  I recommend removing the lid and cooking the last 1/2-1 hr. on high with the lid off to thicken the sauce a bit.  
On the stovetop:  Bring to a simmer, and cook uncovered 45 minutes.
3.  Remove onion.  Blend sauce in pot with an immersion blender or carefully ladle into a blender.
4.  Serve over pasta of your choice.  Makes enough to lightly coat 1 lb. pasta. 


1 comment:

  1. love your blog! its so cute! been browsing around because i recently started a blog of my own!

    i def agree with you, i've always been a prego girl and frankly im just too intimidated to try my own sauce! anything with the slow cooker is worth trying so i'm planning to try this out!!

    thanks for the recipe!

    marykate
    www.darlingdomestic.com

    ReplyDelete