Thursday, August 25, 2011

Farm-Style Oatmeal Cookies

I originally didn't intend to re-post these cookies I found at Good Cheap Eats.  After all, they are just oatmeal cookies, and doesn't everybody have a recipe for those?   Then my 9 year old told me, "Mom, I normally don't like oatmeal cookies, but these are fantastic!"  Since then she has been monitoring levels in the cookie jar and telling me, "Mom, you need to make more of those cookies we only have a few left!"
My husband also chimed in with a "Wow, those are great!"
So how could I help but share?
The recipe at GCE calls for two different kinds of oats, but I just used one kind because that's what I keep in the house, but if you want to mix & match for different texture go for it.  If you don't have buttermilk, you can use a bit of vinegar and lemon juice in regular milk and let it sit a few minutes to thicken.

Farm-Style Oatmeal Cookies
1 1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. butter
1/2 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla
4 c. quick oats
1 3/4 c. unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp. salt
optional:  chocolate chips, craisins, chopped nuts

1.  Combine sugar, butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Add in dry ingredients.  Stir to combine.
2.  Using wet hands, shape into 2 inch balls.  Place 3 inches apart on baking sheet.  Flatten with your palm or the bottom of a glass dipped in water.
3.  Bake at 375 for about 10 minutes.  Cool on cookie sheet for 1-2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

source: Good Cheap Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment