My husband takes these to work for lunch and then gets complaints because he doesn't have enough for the whole group.
This recipe comes together really quickly, especially when you use leftover grilled chicken or shredded chicken, like the Cafe Rio Chicken. In that case it takes less than 10 minutes to prepare.
The most important step is to toast the bread first, otherwise it gets kind of soggy.
1 loaf french bread
2 chicken breasts (or use leftover cooked chicken)
1 pkg. fajita seasoning
1-2 sliced peppers (green, red, yellow)
1 sliced onion
1/4 c. salsa
Monterrey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese
1. Slice bread lengthwise and toast it lightly under the broiler.
2. Season chicken with 1/2 of the fajita seasoning and grill on both side until cooked through. Let rest a few minutes and then slice into thin strips.
3. Saute peppers and onions until tender and then add remaining fajita seasoning and 1/4 c. water. Stir and cook until water cooks off. (about 3-5 minutes)
4. Spread salsa on the toasted bread. Top with chicken, then peppers and onions. Top with sliced or shredded cheese.
5. Place under the broiler for a few minutes or until the cheese is melted.
source: 5 dollar dinners