Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Southern Caviar

This was a holiday favorite, but I believe it is equally popular at summertime potlucks.  We nibbled on it with tortilla scoops whilst playing games with the fam over Thanksgiving break last year. I wish there were a more sophisticated name for it, but this is how the recipe came to me and I'm sticking with it.
There are variations to it around.
You COULD add a mild jalapeno, seeded and chopped fine OR 2-3 mild pickled jalapeno slices, minced fine.
You COULD add a can of not-drained Rotel diced tomatoes (that should have a kick).
You COULD substitute shoepeg corn or hominy for the chick peas.
You COULD use green pepper instead of red or yellow.

Southern Caviar

1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can chick peas, rinsed and drained
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (3 if they're in season!)
4 green onion, chopped (include a little of the green tops as you like)
2 garlic cloves, crushed [or a shake of garlic powder (NOT garlic salt)]
1 medium sweet red, orange or yellow pepper, seeded and chopped
1 / 2 cup chopped onion
1 / 2 cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
8 oz. bottled Italian dressing (I use Wish Bone light Italian)
Mix ingredients and refrigerate couple of hours or overnight; I like to use my favorite plastic 9x13 rectangular Tupperware dish so the dressing soaks all the veggies and takes less room in fridge.
Keeps (if there are any leftovers) for 2-3 days in fridge.
Stir before serving, serve with Scoops or other chips.
source:  Diana B.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! I order this as an appetizer at Wings, and love it! I need to try to make it myself. Thanks for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete