Monday, November 21, 2011

Roast Beef Italian Soup

This is my favorite recipe to make when we have leftover pot roast. I found it on the internet years ago.   I keep the stock that comes from making the roast to use in the soup.   Sometimes I vary the amount of peppers, or sometimes I mix it up and use red and green peppers.  Depending on the seasoning in the Italian diced tomatoes, you may need to adjust the seasoning.   I have also adapted it for the slow cooker by sauteing the onion and peppers and then tossing all the ingredients in the slow cooker for about 4 hours.  
 It is so good with a crusty bread on a cold night.

Roast Beef Italian Soup

1 onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 Tbsp. olive oil
4 c. beef stock
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
1 can diced tomatoes, italian recipe
2 c. cubed leftover roast beef
1 Tbsp. dried oregano
1 Tbsp. dried basil
salt & pepper to taste
fresh basil

1.  Heat oil in the bottom of a large pot.  Saute onions and peppers about 5 minutes or until tender.
2.  Add remaining ingredients.  Simmer for about half an hour. Toss a handful of fresh chopped basil over the top before serving.
source: unknown

1 comment:

  1. This looks SO delicious! I can't wait to try it this coming fall. Thanks for sharing all of these fantastic recipes. I'm always looking for something new to make, and though pinterest has lots of yummy pictures, I've run into a couple of not so awesome recipes. I like that you are sharing recipes that have tried. This cute blog will be a great resource for expanding my recipe collection. Thanks Holly!

    ReplyDelete