Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Scones

I enjoyed making these scones so much this summer, that when I found a recipe for pumpkin scones I had to try them. 
I made them one afternoon and had them ready when my kids came home from school.  They devoured them very appreciatively.  I decided never to underestimate the power of home-baked snacks to make for happy children!  It works for husbands too.

Pumpkin Spice Scones

5 c. flour  (I used 1 c. whole wheat and 4 c. all-purpose)
1 c.sugar
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter, cut into cubes

1/2-3/4c. canned pumpkin
1 c. buttermilk

Cinnamon sugar: 5 1/2 tsp. sugar +1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1.  Combine dry ingredients in large bowl.  Cut in butter with a pastry blender (you can also use a food processor)  until you have coarse blend.  Add buttermilk and pumpkin and gently fold to combine.
2.  Turn dough out onto a floured surface and work gently until dough comes together.  Pat it into a 1 inch thickness.  


3.  Combine 5 1/2 tsp. sugar with 1/2 tsp. cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of the dough. 
4.  Use a knife or roller cutter to slice into squares.  ( I usually get about 2 dozen small scones.)
5.  Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.  Let cool slightly before serving.

source:  Good Cheap Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment