Friday, July 22, 2011

Baked Egg Taquitos with Chipotle-Lime Dipping Sauce

While on vacation I was able to visit my old supper club and visit with some very cool ladies.  The theme that night was breakfast and this was one of my favorite items on my plate.
I made them as directed for my family, and they were delicious, though next time I will customize them for my brood.  I have a kid or two who will not even think of touching anything green, so I may just top them with diced ham and cheddar cheese for her and leave the cilantro and green onions for me and the hubby.  It makes a ton, and my hubs and I were filled up by only eating two.  I also love that they can be frozen ahead and made for an easy breakfast on the go.
The dip is also delicious, but not necessary.  Plain sour cream is just fine.  (The chipotle chili powder was a little expensive!)

Baked Egg Taquitos

2 tsp. olive oil or butter
12 eggs
1/2 c. light sour cream
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 c. shredded pepper jack cheese
1/4 c. chopped roasted red bell pepper
1/4 c. chopped cilantro
1/4 c. sliced green onions
1-2 shakes hot sauce (optional)
20 6" flour tortillas
cooking spray

Chipotle-Lime Dipping Sauce
1 1/2 c. light sour cream
1 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt

1.  To roast the red bell pepper, slice in half and remove seeds and ribs.  Place face down on a foil lined baking sheet.  Spray with cooking spray.  Roast under broiler for a few minutes until the outside starts to char and turn black.  Remove from oven and place peppers in ziploc bag and seal or wrap with aluminum foil.  Leave for 15 minutes.  Remove them from bag and allow to cool enough to be handled.  Skins should slide off easily.  Then chop as desired.
2.  Prepare skillet by heating oil/butter over med. heat.  Crack eggs into large bowl.  Stir in sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.  Beat lightly.  Add to pan and cook until lightly scrambled. (They can be a bit underdone)
3.  Add in cheese, green onions, red pepper, cilantro and optional hot sauce.  Gently fold to combine.
4.  Warm tortillas for a few seconds in the microwave.  Add a scant 1/4 c. egg mixture slightly off center to each tortilla and roll up.  Place seam side down on foil-lined baking sheet.  Spray lightly with cooking spray.
5.  Bake for 12-15 min at 425 degrees or until edges are lightly browned.    Serve with dipping sauce.
6.  Prepare dipping sauce by combining sour cream, chipotle chili powder, lime juice, and salt.
To make ahead, prepare taquitos and freeze before baking.  To prepare frozen taquitos, place (un-thawed) on a lightly greased cooking sheet and bake about 20 minutes at 425.

source:  Kathy A. via Our Best Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment